In today’s post, we’re going to be making wendy’s s awesome sauce recipe! It is a deliciously tangy and sweet sauce that goes well with just about anything. The original recipe calls for ketchup, yellow mustard, sugar, vinegar, garlic salt, and onion salt.
I have modified the recipe slightly to make it low carb/keto-friendly, so it will work for you if you follow a keto or low carb diet.
The original recipe for this sauce calls for 170 grams of sugar, and while it is not the worst thing in the world to consume, we can do better!
We’re going to be using granulated sweetener (I like erythritol) instead, and by my calculations, each serving of wendy’s s awesome sauce has about 25 grams of erythritol.
Wendy’s S Awesome Sauce Recipe
- 20 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard (I Used Guldens)
- 2 tsp sugar-free maple syrup (Optional)
- 3 tsp red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp salt (I used a salt-free garlic herb blend purchased from Ikea)
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum or arrowroot starch (optional, helps the sauce thicken up some)
5 Best Ways To Prepare
1. Combine all ingredients into a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until salt, xanthan gum, and sweetener are well combined.
2. Continue stirring for about 10 minutes or until it thickens up to your desired consistency. Remove from heat and let cool down in the fridge before serving with your favorite low-carb foods.
3. The sauce will thicken quite a bit as it cools down and makes for excellent leftovers, or you can freeze it and defrost it as needed.
4. Make sure to store leftovers in an air-tight container or mason jar.
5. This wendy’s s awesome sauce recipe makes about 12 servings. The entire batch comes out to roughly 1836 Calories, 229g Fats, 34.8g Net Carbs, and 33.7g of Protein.
|Net Carbs||34.08 g|
Is This Sauce Suitable For Pregnant Women?
Wendy’s does use canola oil in its frying oils, which aren’t the best things for anyone because of their high oxidation rate; there isn’t anything indicative that pregnant women should specifically avoid the sauce. I’d recommend simply consulting your doctor or midwife to be safe.
Can You Use Any Vinegar?
Yes! White distilled, red wine, apple cider, balsamic, etc. Technically you could even use beer as a replacement, but that’s not going to be low-carb/keto-friendly.
Is It Ok For Keto And Diabetics?
Yes, people on a ketogenic diet can easily fit this low-carb recipe into their daily macros. It’s also good for people with diabetes because of the lower sugar count per serving!
The Benefit Of Wendy’s S Awesome Sauce Recipe
1. This wendy’s s awesome sauce recipe is low carb and keto-friendly.
2. The calorie count may seem high, but it works out to about 17 calories per tablespoon, which isn’t bad at all, considering how delicious this stuff is!
3. I am not a huge fan of ketchup, so I was skeptical of this recipe at first, but I was amazed by how much it tastes like the real thing. This sauce has a great blend of savory, sweet, tangy, and salty, making it perfect for low-carb eating!
4. Be sure to mix up the batch and make enough to last you at least a week or two! You can also freeze it if you’d like, which will make things even more convenient.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post on how to make Wendy’s S Awesome Sauce Recipe. This recipe is quick and easy, with ingredients that are readily available in most households. If you like the sauce as much as we do at home, please share it with your friends or family!
Enjoy these last few weeks of summer before school starts back up again by spending time outside grilling some burgers and making a big batch of awesome sauce for everyone to enjoy together. Thank you for reading my post.