The veg shawarma roll recipe is an easy, healthy dinner that you can prepare in the crockpot or the oven. It has a high protein and low carbohydrate content, allowing you to follow your diet without feeling icky. It is also high in fiber and lacks saturated fat, making it healthy and delicious!
Preparing this meal takes about 20 mins, I cooked the chicken thawed, but you can use either frozen or fresh meat and make a giant shawarma roll.
What Are The Recipe Benefits Of Eating This?
Veg shawarma roll recipe contains a substantial amount of the macronutrients protein, dietary fiber, and carbohydrates essential for normal body functioning and healthy diets.
Cucumber is a rich source of vitamin K. It is also a great source of fiber, vitamin C, and manganese and has many other benefits.
Cucumber is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. Cucumber lessens the time it takes for your body to digest your food and helps flush out toxins from your body.
How To Make A Veg Shawarma Roll Recipe?
The veg shawarma roll recipe is easy to make and requires only a few equipment & ingredients.
- A large Pyrex dish or the oven.
- A Crockpot or Slow Cooker.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened Almond Milk (or other milk).
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar or any acidic veg shawarma roll recipe.
- 1/2 cup of grated carrots.
- 1/2 cup of finely grated cucumber.
- 1/4 cup of finely grated red cabbage.
- 1 tsp baking powder.
- 1.5 lbs chicken (cut into bite-size pieces).
- 1 cucumber (cut into long strips).
- 2 carrots (shredded).
- 1/2 red onion (cut into long strips).
- A bunch of parsley or cilantro (chopped).
- 2 tbsp olive oil.
- 1 tbsp vinegar.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- 1 tbsp cumin powder.
- 1 tbsp garlic powder.
- Red pepper flakes, to taste.
- A dash of black pepper.
Mix the all-purpose flour and baking powder, add the almond milk and vinegar, and mix well.
Knead it until a soft dough is formed and set aside for 5 min.
In a large bowl, mix the veggies and chicken with seasoning, vinegar, cumin powder, Garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Set aside for 15 min. or more.
Brush the top of the dough with oil and spread the chicken & veg filling equally.
Roll the dough up like a burrito, and secure it using a toothpick or tweezer.
Transfer to place into the crockpot or slow cooker for 2-3 hours on low setting. You can also cook in the oven at 200°C (400°F) for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts Of Veg Shawarma Roll Recipe
5 Amazing Health Benefits Of Veg Shawarma Roll Recipe
1. Onions are a rich source of quercetin and other flavonoids, powerful plant compounds that can protect you against several diseases. Onion is also high in sulfur, present in almost every protein and amino acid.
Sulfur has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. The antibacterial property of onion may help preserve the natural flora of your intestines, leading to better digestion and a healthy immune system.
2. Cucumbers contain essential minerals like magnesium, potassium, sulfur, and phosphorus that keep your body hydrated.
3. Garlic is a great source of allicin, which has antibacterial and antiviral properties and helps lower the risk of cancer and other diseases.
4. Cabbage is loaded with vitamins C, A, E, and K, which help regulate your body’s metabolism.
5. Carrots have beta-carotene, an antioxidant that protects your eyes from damage due to UV rays. It also helps regulate the absorption of calcium, iron, and Vitamin A in your body.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
Prepare it in the crockpot or oven for 2-3 hours on a low setting. This recipe is quick as well and only takes 20 mins to prepare!
How To Make It More Delicious?
This recipe can be easily modified to your taste preference. You can change the seasoning or even add meat. You can also add 1 cup of cooked brown rice to the crockpot.
You could also add extra veggies to make it a healthy veg shawarma roll recipe. Try different blends if you want.
How To Store Veg Shawarma Roll Recipe?
You can store the veg shawarma roll recipe in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze the rolls by wrapping them well in plastic wrap and then placing them in a freezer bag. Keep the rolls frozen until they are ready to use.
Is It Suitable For Pregnant Women?
For pregnant women, it is best to avoid foods that have high-fat content and other unhealthier ingredients. However, the veg shawarma roll recipe contains fresh ingredients and healthy grains like barley.
The veg shawarma roll can be included in a low-carb dietary plan, while one should still maintain a healthy diet and be mindful of how much one eats.
For more info about consuming during pregnancy or being currently pregnant, please get in touch with your doctor.
Is It Good For Diabetic Patients?
This veg shawarma roll recipe is not suitable for diabetic patients. It has high-carbohydrate content, which is generally not recommended for diabetes patients.
Is It Gluten-Free?
This recipe is gluten-free and can be consumed by those avoiding wheat or gluten in their diet. The dough is made up of gluten-free flour and baking powder, making it a good choice if you are looking to cut down on your carb intake.
Is It Safe For Heart Patients?
This recipe is safe for heart patients as it contains fresh vegetables like onions and cucumbers. These vegetables provide potassium and magnesium, which can help lower blood pressure.
Is It Good For Breastfeeding Women?
You can eat this veg shawarma roll recipe while breastfeeding. It is not recommended to consume veg shawarma rolls with high-fat content or nuts, as the arachidonic acid in these foods can harm the baby’s brain development.
Is It Kids Friendly?
This recipe is kid-friendly and will keep your kids occupied for hours. If your kids do not eat veggies, you can hide them in the dough by mixing them with chicken.
I hope you will enjoy this delicious healthy veg shawarma roll recipe as I do! Try it yourself, and don’t forget to leave a comment below to let me know how it goes! If you like this recipe, please share it with your family & friends. Thanks for reading this article.