Sorrel Cake Recipe is a traditional cake recipe from France, and it’s an ideal cake to make at the beginning of fall.
If you’re looking for a dessert that can be made ahead of time and served cold, this sorrel cake is just the thing.
The recipe we’ll share with you doesn’t require cream or eggs — it’s also vegan and gluten-free. Enjoy!
How To Make A Sorrel Cake Recipe?
Do you want to know how to prepare sorrel caked? The sorrel cake recipe is delicious. And easy to make. Just follow this simple step-by-step instruction, and you will learn how to make a sorrel cake recipe.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (about 50 g).
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 50 g).
- 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 1/2 cup white sugar (100 g).
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled.
- 3 eggs, separated and at room temperature.
Easy 9 Ways To Prepare
1. Combine the buckwheat and all-purpose flours, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add the sugar and butter. With a fork, incorporate the ingredients just until evenly combined.
2. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 1/4 cup of egg whites (you can use equal parts of white and yolk). Slowly drizzle in 4 tablespoons of butter while whisking vigorously.
3. Pour the flour mixture into the egg yolk butter mixture. Whisk until just combined. If a few lumps remain, don’t worry — they will disappear during baking.
4. Set aside a small amount of dough, then use your hands to shape it into a flat disc about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick.
5. Pour the rest of the dough into prepared cake pans. Place cakes in a preheated oven at 450 degrees F (230 C) for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. While baking, whisk the remaining egg whites with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Prepare a simple syrup by heating sugar and water on medium heat — use a 1:1 ratio of sugar and water, and stir until sugar melts.
8. Place cakes back in the oven for about 5 minutes or until egg whites are set. Remove from oven and let cool in pans for 10 minutes.
9. Invert onto a baking sheet and let cakes cool completely (about one hour). Enjoy!
Nutrition Fact Of Sorrel Cake Recipe
Is It Suitable For Children?
This recipe is recommended for adults and children over the age of 8. If you are younger than 8, ask your parent’s permission before eating any sorrel cake recipes.
Is This Recipe Good For Pregnant Women?
This recipe is not recommended for pregnant women. We don’t know enough about the effects of sorrel in pregnancy. Therefore, it’s not recommended to eat sorrel during pregnancy.
Is It Good For Heart Patients?
Since this recipe contains quite a bit of sugar, we recommend that diabetics and heart patients find other suitable recipes.
Is The Recipe Healthy?
Yes, the sorrel cake recipe will provide 39% of your daily needs for potassium and 26% daily needs for magnesium.
Is This Recipe Good For Diabetic Patients?
The sorrel cake recipe is suitable for diabetics with a diet low on saturated fat.
Is This Recipe Low-Fat?
The sorrel cake recipe contains 28% of your daily needs for saturated fat and 14% of your daily needs for total fat.
Is It Gluten-Free?
Yes, this recipe does not contain any gluten. It may be used by people with celiac disease (who should avoid wheat).
Can You Freeze The Sorrel Cake Recipe?
Yes, you can store the sorrel cake recipe in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, or transfer to a bowl of warm water and stir.
The sorrel cake recipe is a tasty and healthy cake ideal for special days such as birthdays, anniversaries, and Thanksgiving. So don’t hesitate to share this recipe with friends and family. Thanks for reading this article.