Mutton curry Kerala style is an amazing delicacy from the southern state of Kerala. For this mouth-watering curry to be made, a blend of spices is used in the meat, consisting primarily of hints of turmeric and coriander that give it a beautiful yellow shade.
The key ingredient that makes this dish stand out amongst many others is coconut oil which gives it a rich, creamy taste and keeps it moist.
One great way to prepare this dish is by preparing mutton in the oven. Roasting mutton allows for a lengthy marination process, which allows for a more intense, rich, and tender taste.
The meat is also cooked in chicken stock, ensuring that every bite tastes unique, and the dish can be served as a main course or side dish.
Preparing Kerala-style mutton curry is an art that requires patience and care. When cooking the meat on high heat produces strong aromas; nevertheless, this is a great experience to savor – especially during dinner parties.
Cooking this dish with a small group of friends or family is a great way to gather together and enjoy a full-flavored dinner. It’s also an excellent opportunity to try new recipes and pick up some tips along the way.
How To Make A Mutton Curry Kerala Style?
Mutton curry Kerala style is easy to follow and makes a delicious meal for your family. Here we will give you some great tips to prepare this amazing dish.
Step-by-step instructions for making a mutton curry Kerala style to taste like those served in any restaurant.
- 10 tbsp of coconut oil.
- 5 tsp of cumin seeds (jeera).
- 3 tsp of black peppercorns.
- 1/2 cup of medium thick coconut milk (thin version can also be used.)
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock or water.
- 2 lbs. of mutton.
- 1 tsp of turmeric.
- 2 tbsp of coriander seeds.
- 8 green chilies (sliced lengthwise).
- 1 large tomato (sliced lengthwise).
- 2 tsp of mustard seeds.
- 1 onion (sliced lengthwise).
- Salt to taste.
Easy 15 Preparation Method
For the preparation of this mutton curry, here are some easy steps. Always remember to use extra virgin coconut oil. To prepare it, follow the steps below:
1. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 6 tablespoons of coconut oil and cumin seeds. The oil should be hot enough to deep-fry the meat.
2. Once it starts to smoke, add the mutton to it and fry for about 7 minutes, making sure the oil does not get too hot or smoke up. The water in the meat would have evaporated by now. This process is called bhuna.
3. Once the meat is nicely browned with a nice aroma, add turmeric, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, and green chilies.
4. Mix it well and fry for another 1 minute.
5. Add the chicken stock or water (or some thin coconut milk) and mix again. This mixture would become a little oily, but pay attention not to add too much water, making the curry too runny and mushy.
6. Pressure cooks the meat for about 15 mins or until the meat is tender.
7. When the meat is cooked, take it out and add it to a plate. Keep aside.
8. In the same pressure cooker, add a little oil (just enough to coat the bottom of the pressure cooker) and mustard seeds and let it crackle.
9. Add sliced onions and fry them until they are soft golden brown but not burnt at all (about 6-8 minutes). This allows the flavors to combine properly and gives a nice aroma.
10. Now add the chicken stock (or water) and mix it well.
11. Add the tomato slices sliced mutton, and mix everything evenly.
12. Simmer this mixture for about 15-20 mins or until it starts to thicken a little bit more. The meat should be cooked by now, so be careful not to overcook it as it will become mushy and runny like a soup in no time!
13. Add the green chilies and coconut milk and mix again.
14. Add salt and pepper to taste.
15. Serve hot with plain rice or roti and some delicious Kerala-style side dishes like onion achar, pineapple kachumber, and cucumber pickle!
Nutrition Fact Of Mutton Curry Kerala Style
|Total Fat||9 g|
Is It Good For Weight Loss?
Mutton curry Kerala style is rich in fat, but only in small doses. Inform your doctor before taking mutton curry Kerala style to lose weight.
Is It Good For Weight Gain?
Mutton curry Kerala style is rich in protein which is good for weight gain. Inform your doctor before taking mutton curry Kerala style to gain weight.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
This recipe can be frozen if you follow the instructions on freezing this dish. Remember to freeze it in an airtight container for up to a month.
This is a great way to spend the evening with friends or family, and how it has made mutton curry Kerala style an all-time favorite in Kerala. It is an easy-to-cook recipe that would be served best with rice or roti.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article on “How To Make Mutton Curry Kerala Style,” It proved to be useful and helpful. Let us know if you have any questions; please use our contact page. Thanks for reading this article.