Howard Johnson chicken croquettes recipe is a delicious and easy dish to make. It can be prepared in less than 20 minutes, with simple ingredients found in your home kitchen.
This dish is perfect for family dinners or parties because it yields around 30 croquettes but can easily be doubled for more servings.
Howard Johnson’s chicken croquettes recipe is also very economical; the cost of this meal ranges from $10 to $15 depending on what kind of meat you use (chicken or beef).
I hope that you enjoy the Howard johnson chicken croquettes recipe! Read on to learn how to prepare these tasty treats at home!
How To Make A Howard Johnson Chicken Croquettes Recipe?
For The Poached Chicken
- 1 onion, quartered with root end attached
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks on an angle
- 4 celery stems, cut into chunks
- 2 chicken breasts or 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs/dice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 large fresh bay leaves
For The Croquettes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten (for coating)
- Oil for frying
- 1/4 cup water to thin the sauce (optional)
For The Gravy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 extra-large egg yolk, beaten (optional)
1. In a large dutch oven or a large pan, add chicken, onion, carrot and celery and cover with water. Add salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes. Then remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside to cool down. Strain the stock into another pot or bowl (the stock can later be used in other cooking projects).
2. When the chicken has cooled down, remove the skin and bones and cut them into 1/2-inch pieces.
3. In a large sauté pan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, around 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over onions and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring with a wooden spoon.
4. Transfer the flour mixture into a large bowl with chicken meat and add 1 cup of heavy cream while constantly stirring until you reach a smooth consistency.
5. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste (be careful with the salt as the stock might be salty already) and add finely chopped herbs. Stir well and set aside.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 beaten egg with 2 tablespoons of water to make an egg wash.
7. Heat a deep fryer or a large pan fitted with a candy thermometer filled halfway up with oil to 400 degrees F (you can also use a large skillet over high heat).
8. Warm up a small pot of water and bring it to a gentle boil over medium-low heat.
9. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg wash, then dip the chicken pieces.
10. Place chicken pieces into the oil and fry until golden brown, around two minutes depending on the size of the chicken pieces (the chicken will shrink while frying, so doesn’t worry if it looks too much).
11. Remove chicken pieces from the oil and place them on paper towels to drain excess oil.
12. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat and whisk in the flour until well combined, then gradually add the stock. Cook, frequently stirring, until thickened (around 3 minutes).
13. If you like a thicker sauce, slowly whisk in another tablespoon of butter into the pan; do this after you’ve reduced the heat to low, as the sauce might splatter if you add it while heating it.
14. Season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste, whisk in the yolk, and immediately add the chicken pieces back into the gravy. Simmer for three minutes or until everything is well-combined.
15. Set aside and keep warm until ready to serve.
16. Serve the croquettes with the sauce over them, garnished with parsley and thyme, if preferred.
Is This Recipe Good For Your Health?
The chicken croquettes recipe has many benefits for your health. It is low in sodium, high in niacin, selenium, and vitamin B6; fiber helps lower cholesterol levels; eggs are an excellent source of protein; corn is rich in antioxidants (xanthophylls) help protect against free radical damage.
Is It Suitable For Pregnant Women?
The chicken croquettes recipe is suitable for pregnant women because it has a good amount of folic acid and zinc. Folic acid helps the growing baby (important for proper neural tube development), and zinc plays an essential role in supporting your immune system.
Can Children Eat It?
The chicken croquettes recipe is perfect for kids because it’s low in saturated fat and cholesterol. Eggs are a great source of protein; corn contains fiber, cheese is an excellent source of calcium, breading provides B vitamins which help your child’s nervous system function properly.
The benefit of Howard Johnson Chicken Croquettes
1. A healthy recipe for chicken croquettes is a perfect dish to serve at parties or family dinners because it can be prepared with easily found ingredients and in only 20 minutes.
2. This dish is very economical; the cost of this meal ranges from $10 to $15 depending on what kind of meat you use (chicken or beef).
3. Chicken croquettes are tasty due to the cheese used as a filling, which provides a strong cheesy flavor that goes nicely with the mild taste of ground beef or chicken.
4. Chicken croquettes are also very nutritious; the main ingredients (ground beef and yellow corn) provide high amounts of protein, which will help you maintain your energy levels throughout the day.
Howard Johnson’s Chicken Croquettes Recipe is a great way to enjoy the flavors of this American diner staple at home. The best part about these croquettes? They’re easy and quick to make so that you can whip them up any time your craving strikes!
After reading this blog post, I hope you will be inspired to give our take on the chicken croquettes recipe a try in your kitchen.