The Christmas spice cake recipe is an old one that is still familiar to many. You can make it ahead of time and on Christmas day.
This Christmas spice cake recipe is moist and delicious. The Christmas spice cake is a delicious old recipe that, despite its simplicity, remains a favourite all year round.
The Christmas spice cake has been known to wow the faithful with its taste and may be one of the best Christmas cake recipes.
The Christmas spice cake recipe is perfect for families to enjoy on Christmas day, or if you want to present it as a gift, you can bake it ahead of time and freeze it until needed.
As with all good things, the younger generation has become familiar with this traditional recipe and has forgotten how difficult it looks.
We love the hint of cinnamon and nutmeg in the cake, and toasting it with freshly crushed cinnamon is a great way to improve it even more.
How To Make A Christmas Spice Cake Recipe?
The Christmas spice cake recipe is one of the easiest cakes to bake and makes a good alternative to chocolate muffins or a tea-time madeleine.
Because it is so chocolatey, you can bake it over several days and freeze it until needed. This will make your Christmas baking less hectic and more enjoyable.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 7 drops of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground mace
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1/2 cup of dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground clove
- ¼ teaspoon pure ground black pepper
- 1 cup of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon (optional)
- ½ cup eggnog
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
White Chocolate Ganache
- 2 cups melted white chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F). Grease and flour a 9-inch round springform cake pan.
2. Beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and oil in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until it is very light in colour. Stir in the molasses, vinegar and spices together. Stir in the 2 cups of flour with another electric mixer until it is well mixed and smooth. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes clean. Remove from the oven and invert onto a cake surface.
3. In a medium saucepan, place the ingredients for the eggnog buttercream and boil, stirring continuously. Reduce heat, and simmer gently for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly, then pour over Christmas spice cake.
4. In a double boiler, melt white chocolate and heavy cream until smooth and shiny (approximately 5 minutes). Pour over the cooled cake before serving.
Amazing 5 Additional Information
1. Make sure to cook the cake at a lower temperature than normal. This will make it moist.
2. Line your pan with grease-proof paper and dust with flour. This will make the cake easier to remove from the pan.
3. You can freeze the Christmas spice cake for up to 3 months if you have baked it early or if you have some leftovers. You can defrost at room temperature and serve as needed. You can also glaze or frost it or eat it as is. Serve it with a cup of coffee, hot chocolate or tea.
4. If travelling, you can freeze the cake in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Remove from the container and thaw at room temperature.
5. If you cover the cake in eggnog, it will keep and taste freshly baked for a few days.
Nutrition Facts Of Christmas Spice Cake Recipe
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
Serving Ideas For Christmas Spice Cake Recipe
1. Serve with a cup of cocoa. To make the cake rich, use dark cocoa and add whipped cream or marshmallows.
2. Serve with a glass of milk. You can also serve it with a steaming cup of tea or coffee.
3. Serve to your guests at parties as an appetizer if you want to be different from the regular fare. It is perfect for tea parties, too.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
Prepare Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 75 minutes
Total Time: 145 minutes
Can This Cake Be Frozen?
Freezing the cake will make it even more delicious. You can freeze it for up to 3 months. To defrost, place the frozen cake at room temperature or thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.
How To Get Perfectly Flat Cake Layers?
This Christmas spice cake recipe tends to rise slightly, and you may not get flat layers. To get perfectly flat layers, remove from the oven when the centre of the cake still looks moist but is springing back after being touched. If you remove it when it is completely dry, it will not be as flat.
How Long Before Christmas Should You Make A Christmas Cake?
You can make a Christmas spice cake any time during the year, though it is best to prepare it in time for Christmas. You can bake your Christmas spice cake a couple of days before, wrap it well and keep it in the refrigerator until needed, then bake it when you are ready.
I hope you enjoy the Christmas spice cake recipe as much as my family and I do. This is our favourite Christmas tea-time cake because it tastes so good that no one would ever guess it was homemade. But even if you are not a dessert person, the cake accompanies any festive meal.
All the kids in the family will love it, so this is the one time when you can let them indulge in a chocolate cake at breakfast (it’s almost lunch, anyway). Thank you for reading this article about the Christmas spice cake recipe.