Chicken Mozambique recipe is an authentic take on this popular dish. The ingredients are simple, and the cooking process does not require advanced culinary skills.
The final product’s taste will depend mainly on the quality of your ingredients, so make sure to use fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley for maximum flavor. We recommend using bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs for the most succulent result.
If you want to reduce fat content, go ahead and substitute them for boneless breasts or drumsticks (increase cooking time). For more background information about this delicious meal, please read.
chicken Mozambique recipe
- 5 pounds chicken thighs (boneless, skinless), cut in half.
- 1 cup corn starch.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- 2 large white onions, sliced.
- 6 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (reserve a few sprigs for garnish) or 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped.
- 1/8 cup tomato paste.
- 3 jalapeno peppers or 1 green and 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced (or you can use any mixture of bell peppers).
- 2 tablespoons butter.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- 1 tablespoon salt (and more to taste).
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicy).
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional but recommended for added flavor and color).
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or canola oil, divided.
8 Best Preparation Method
1. Use a sharp knife to make several 2-3mm deep holes in each chicken thigh. This will help the marinade penetrate the flesh and season them more evenly.
2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients for the marinade until they are fully combined. Add chicken thighs and coat them thoroughly with the mixture. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
3. Heat a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a large and deep pan or Dutch oven for which you have a lid. When the oil is hot, add marinated chicken thighs and sear them on both sides until golden brown (3-4 minutes per side). Remove from skillet and set aside; do not clean the pan.
4. Heat another tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat for which you have a lid. Add onions and cook, occasionally stirring, until translucent (3-5 minutes).
5. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add garlic, red chili pepper, bell peppers, cilantro, or parsley in brine, tomato paste, and remaining salt. Cook, occasionally stirring, for about 5 minutes until bell peppers are tender.
6. Add water to deglaze the pan, making sure to scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon so that no onion or garlic is left behind.
7. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if necessary, then return chicken thighs into the pan on top of the onion mixture. Cover skillet with a lid and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until chicken thighs are fully cooked through (no longer pink inside).
8. Remove from heat, transfer to serving dish and enjoy!
|Dietary fiber||3.7 g|
The Benefit Of Chicken Mozambique Recipe
1. Chicken Mozambique Recipe is great for people who do not eat pork and beef.
2. Chicken Mozambique Recipe is low in fat and has high protein content.
3. Chicken Mozambique Recipe provides us with many vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), vitamin A (retinol), niacin (vitamin B3), vitamin C, potassium, phosphorus, and selenium.
4. Chicken Mozambique Recipe can reduce swelling and pain of arthritis, prevent osteoporosis by strengthening the bones, give relief to menstrual discomfort, help with weight loss because it makes you feel full quickly.
5. Chicken Mozambique Recipe is high in iron, which can increase energy levels and prevent anemia.
6. Chicken Mozambique Recipe is suitable for all people (children, adults, pregnant women).
How To Make It More Delicious?
1. Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder or chicken Mozambique powder to the marinade for more color and flavor.
2. Add a tablespoon of soy sauce, preferably dark soy sauce, for chicken Mozambique to taste better and have a richer appearance.
3. Use canned corn kernels rather than fresh corn as canned corn is softer and has a better texture.
4. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to the sauce for the Mozambique chicken recipe for a richer flavor, thicker consistency, and increased protein content.
5. Use bell peppers in red, yellow, and green colors rather than red pepper to have a more colorful chicken in Mozambique.
6. Serve chicken Mozambique with coconut rice or coconut chips for a more delicious chicken Mozambique taste.
7. Add a tablespoon of sugar to the sauce of the Mozambique chicken recipe for sweetness and flavor.
8. Make the chicken Mozambique recipe spicy by adding 1 teaspoon of chili flakes, fresh chilies, or red pepper, increasing metabolism.
9. Garnish chicken Mozambique with peanuts, peanut sauce, or cashew nuts for more delicious chicken Mozambique.
The Mozambique chicken recipe is a delicious way to change up your dinner routine. To make this dish, start by prepping the ingredients and then cook everything in one pot for an easy clean-up.
This flavorful meal can be served with rice or roti bread on the side! If you’re looking for more recipes like this, check out our blog.
We have plenty of mouthwatering dishes that are perfect for weeknight dinners or entertaining guests over the holidays! Thank you for reading this post.